Monday, October 11, 2010

i am starting to get it



sometimes people/friends hurt you. whether they are aware of it or not. not going to lie, when it happens, it cuts deep.

but there is something in me that always goes back to them, no matter how deep that cut was.

and i got it tonight, i understood why i always go back and continue to give my all, i give my friendship. because, in the end it ISN'T about me. to give someone, or to make a little difference in someone's life -- even if it just a smile, makes it all worth it.

and then as i was driving home, i realized the savior experienced the same thing. NOT comparing myself with the savior. but he was spit upon, and ridiculed, but yet he always still loved these people.

ironically, no matter how bad i get hurt, i know if i stop being selfish, and just forget myself, it always pays off.

i hope that made sense.

4 comments:

  1. thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. What a great reminder and insight this is. It was an answer to my prayer. I have been struggling with this in relation to family members (not my family but the family I married into). I just wanted to give up and cut them off, but it really isn't about me and I could be less selfish. Really great Talise. Thanks for being soooo GREAT!

    P.S. Love the pic on your title. You look so good/beautiful/hot mamacita (in a non-creepy friend-like way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with Amanda, and you're not alone!!! Great insight Talise. It's seriously one of the hardest things I've dealt with, but I know that I know better. I know that like President Monson talked about, we need to have charity. My pride gets in the way of me being able to forgive, but I know that turning to the Lord in humility, He will help me. Forgiveness and love are the keys. Like I've said before, you still remember things that have happened, and you can remember those things to protect yourself...but you still have to forgive.

    I was reading Elder Christofferson's talk from conference and one line made me think of you yesterday and I think it goes right along with what you're saying. He's quoting from John and says

    “If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.
    “For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."

    And another part of the talk which helped me, Amanda maybe you can find the same comfort from it I found, he says, "One who lives a consecrated life does not seek to take advantage of another but, if anything, will turn the other cheek and, if required to deliver a coat, will give the cloak also". That part about turning the other cheek really stuck with me!

    Sorry long comment. I just wanted to share my insights as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carrie for your insight. That also brought me comfort and hope. You guys are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love blogs for this reason!! all helping one another. amanda -- you are too sweet! can we please get together soon--- i gotta meet your lil girl!

    ReplyDelete